Tuesday, June 9, 2015

North Eastern Gypsy Season

I've reached that time again where I am packing up my belongings and as always it doesn't feel like it is that time of year yet...It is mind-blowing to realize that since leaving the U.S. in January I haven't been anywhere longer than two weeks. It has been quite a ride and totally my style of work, play, and sight seeing.

Upon returning to the U.S. I spent a few days at home and got to catch up with all the people that keep that place so magical for me and even managed to run into old friends from college. I ended my whirlwind visit with an slow injured completion of the Run to the Pub Half-Marathon that I have been keen to do since my seasonal lifestyle began. The next day I hit the road with my Mom to transplant myself it the North East yet again.

My mom was pretty impressed that throughout the road trip we were in a total of 12 states in a fairly short period of time. We made the finale of our journey a stop at the frozen and gorgeous Niagara Falls and a weekend on the coast of Maine. It was evident once hitting New York how brutal the winter was in this region, but it sure made for some beautiful sights to see. In Maine my Mom and I spent a day driving to the coast for her first view of the Atlantic, a visit to her favorite: LLBean, and the classic New England lighthouse experience.
Once I set her up on the bus to the Boston airport I headed to central Massachusetts where I unpacked for the season.
Despite the fact that I didn't stick around my "homesite" for long stints of time, it was nice to have a home base and to be where all the makings of Nature's Classroom happen. It proved to be a central location to work four weeks in Connecticut, another week in New York, and other weekend hiking and beach excursions.
New England has really shown me it's magic this season; with the lichen under snow pack, the deafening sounds of frogs mating, the salamanders finding shelters disturbed by children and me flipping over rocks and logs, to all the farm animals at various NC sites, the insane eruption of foliage creating the jungle that is New England, the crystal blue water from melting snow pack, and so much more...
On a daily basis I was blown away with all the beauty that is around here that seems overlooked by locals. Growing up in Montana our forests lack in the deciduous and glowing leaf cover that continues to impress me every time I step out the door. Sure, there are a lot of people here, but it is easy to get away from the population and find some really beautiful things. I spent two of my weekends trekking through some snowy/icy paths in the mountains of New Hampshire to finally found myself believing that there are mountains out here, yet they are in a whole different category than those of the West. In the magic of it all, I found myself comparing the colors and cuts of the ridges to those of my international travels.

                     


Other weekends were spent with some company wide shenanigans at home base and on Cape Cod. Despite the beauty of the dunes on the Cape I was preferred the cliffs of Rhode Island visited on my last weekend out here. Yes, I officially visited all of the New England this Spring and found some extraordinary things in all of them. It blows my mind how close it all is and how diverse it can be in just a few hours drive.
I am thankful for my Spring up here and ultimately really glad I was such a gypsy this Spring because I really got to know this company and the people whose passion make it such an enticing place to stick around at least another season. See you soon enough North East! Thanks you for being such an inspiring place!

No comments:

Post a Comment